And I Thought He Was Straight {1}


His name was Matt and he worked with me during the summer of 1979 at a warehouse in Delaware. All day long we loaded and unloaded trucks of farm produce. Our shift ran from six in the morning until noon. It was hard, back breaking work, but it paid well and we had nights and weekends off. Plus there was the added bonus of the physical labor's assistance in keeping one fit. One Friday, Matt and I went and grabbed a couple of beers after work. We had a nice enough time at the old tap room called the Clearwell Inn. It was situated off the main road and sat back in the woods. As we sat the bar I took a good look at my co-worker. He was a compact guy with broad shoulders and a thick neck. He had nice full beard and wavy chestnut hair. I don't think he had any idea how hot he was. Anyway, we talked about nothing and everything and eventually he told me about his wife-to-be. "Oh well," I thought, "Look but don't touch, this one is a breeder". Later on, it must have been around five or six, we had had enough to drink and were heading out to the cars. He asked if I could drive him home, he did not want to chance driving drunk. I had paced myself and felt up to the venture and obliged him. When we got back to the little farm house he was renting in Salem New Jersey he asked me in. We entered the back door into the kitchen and as soon as we were inside he took his shirt off and revealed a beefy chest. This made me uncomfortable because I knew he was straight and I did not want to stare, but before I could do anything, he grabbed my crotch and said, "So I've been checking out your package for a few weeks now, let's see what you got down there". I was stunned, and though I wanted nothing more than to rock and roll with this husky stud, I knew that it all felt inherently wrong -- I can't say why, I just felt that for the first time in my life, I should really look the gift horse in the mouth and walk away. I firmly removed his hand and smiled, "Ah, no thanks, Matt, you don't need to experiment with me, don't you have a girlfriend?" He shrugged his shoulders and sighed, "Sorry man, I just thought there's no harm in asking". I smiled back and made my exit. When I got home that night I jerked off about three times thinking about him and what might have been. The following Monday when I showed up for work, the foreman pulled me aside and said that Matt had quit; to this day, I wonder if I was the cause of that...

No comments: